How a VA Loan made it possible for me and my family to have a home

Seven years ago when my wife and I married we began to rent a house and fell in love with the home and location. Our landlord came to us after we had rented for two years and said he wanted to sell the home. We asked if he would do a land contract or a rent-to-own, because I had started my own business and didn’t have enough down payment for a standard mortgage.  

After talking he agreed to let us rent for another year so we could get our finances in order. During this time my wife became sick with cancer. Although we had health insurance the medical bills began to stack up and affected our credit. 

At the end of the year we had our down payment, but our credit score had taken a hit from the medical bills. We tried several mortgage companies; however, none would work with us. 

That is when I turned to the VA. It had been several years since I had served, but I decided to see what my veteran entitlements could do.

I arranged a meeting with the VA Loans department and met with a mortgage person there that was able to point me in the right direction. Because I serviced the United States military, they were able to help me get a mortgage through the VA, even with a less than perfect credit score.

Along with being able to finance me with a credit score lower than a 640 I was able to finance our mortgage with no money down. We were able to use our down payment money to pay off our outstanding medical bills and improve our credit again. 

I have always been thankful that I was able to serve and enjoyed my time in the Army but am really glad of the benefits that came from using my entitlements to a VA Loan.

By Josh Johnson

Call Now for More Information: (248) 569-1486

No comments:

Post a Comment